Saturday 9 March 2013

Always remind yourself of when the seed was planted....

Day 68 of my 365 day blog challenge

I can't remember the guys name in this picture but I do know it was taken in 1999 when we all worked for Honda.  Karen and I had been dating for about 1 year then.  So young, we didn't know it then but life ahead would have it's share of challenges for us.

Karen's mom had just passed away a few months before this picture was taken.  She was diagnosed with ALS and passed away about a year later....heartbreaking.  In Feb 2007 Karen's dad suffered a heart attack and passed away.  Then in April I was diagnosed with cancer.  We struggled with that for many years to come and still do today.  My father passed away in March 2010. 

We have had so many amazing blessings in our life.  Our biggest blessing, our amazing son.  But life can be very challenging.  We always remember to count or blessings, not to hold grudges and believe that anything is possible. 

Karen and I knew the minute we met that we would continue our path together.  We have always balanced each other well.  Being 4 years older, I guess you could say that I was the one who took the lead in situations and always ensuring that things would work out.  Then, I got sick.....things changed.  Karen couldn't rely on me anymore.  I was fighting for me life! This cancer bullshit struggle has changed me.  It's changed the way I feel about myself at times.  I feel like I've let her down.  I know that isn't true, but I do feel that way.  For 9 years before getting sick, I took the lead.  When I was knocked down, that was heartbreaking.  At times I couldn't even get out of bed so making decisions about Nathan's daycare, caring for the home and day to day life was all on her.

I have struggles within myself that I work on everyday.  Karen and I made a promise to each other 15 years ago to love through sickness and health.  That's what we continue to day everyday.  Life is crazy at times.  To have someone who is so amazing to share it with is a blessing.  I can only hope that one day Nathan looks back on his childhood and thinks "my parents always taught me that when life gets tough, I have the strength within me to get through it".

In 1998 when Karen and I talked for the first time, the love seed was planted.  15 years later our tree of life continues to grow stronger, healthier, and with some deep roots!

I would never change this journey, sooooo many lessons.

Thanks for reading, sharing and commenting.  Giving thanks and sending love!

No comments:

Post a Comment