Wednesday 27 March 2013

Where have the last 35 years gone....



Day 86 of my 365 day blog challenge
 
Have you ever looked back at your old pictures and thought "where has the time gone"? 35 years..35 years!!! Since this picture was taken.  I think I was about 5 years old.  If I were to see this little girl on the street today I would see a little tomboy and maybe a little gender confusion.  But I can't ever remember being confused and wanting to be a boy.  I always knew I was a girl and wanted to be one but I just preferred shopping in the boys department and hanging with them.  But now I do see how people may have been confused when I was young.  Though I didn't see it then and at times it was very difficult.  I was always defending myself.  It wasn't as accepted then and people didn't understand it.  I'm sure for the most part, people thought I was a boy.
 
I remember being at family picnics at age 8 or 9 and running around in swim shorts and no shirt just like the boys.  My parents and I never talked about my desire to wear boys clothes and baseball hats.  They just embraced me and went with it.  Sometimes I wonder if I ever let them down.  No pink dresses, no pig tails or nail painting.  Just ball caps, dirty nails and sweaty sports gear....lol
 
I hope that I have never let my parents down.  I feel so blessed that they loved me unconditionally and allowed me to be me.  Sure we had some tough times growing up as I'm sure all kids and parents do.  But they never tried to change me.  They were proud and likely didn't care what people thought.  My whole childhood I was told by others how cute I was.  I mean with that little androginist look, who could blame them ;)


Thanks for reading, sharing and commenting.  Giving thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment