Thursday 7 February 2013

Turning pages........

Day 38 of my 365 day blog challenge

You don't define me anymore cancer, you are simply a chapter in my life.  Wow, for the first time ever I have finally been able to turn the page and write my next chapter.  I was going to write a special post on April 11, 2013 seeing as it's my 6 year clear of cancer.  But why? Why would I wait until then to close this chapter of my life.  Why not today in this moment.

For the last almost 6 years my life has been consumed with my breast cancer diagnosis.  This honestly has been exhausting at times.  It absolutely has been a journey of healing, conquering fears and everyday reminding myself that I have such strength that I never would have realised other wise.

My journey presented me with some amazing opportunities.  I spoke in front of 10,000 people and shared my story.  I was in numerous newspaper articles along with having a few tv interviews.  I have some amazing women in my life now because of our journeys.  New hair and new boobs! I wouldn't change any of it!!!

Up until today, I would usually tell people that I have met that I had cancer.  I don't know why I would tell them.  But they always knew right away.  I guess I felt like it was who I am.  I saw someone today at my workplace that I met about 2 months ago.  For the first time ever, I told her that I beat breast cancer.  It was almost uncomfortable and didn't flow like it use too.  She was very surprised and couldn't believe it.  She said I must have been very young.  I said yes, 34 years old with a 16 month old son.  I've been saying that for way too long.  I realised then that it's time to start a new chapter.

I have turned the page and now starting a new one.  Thank you cancer for this journey but you no longer own me.  You are simply a part of my past.............

Thanks for reading, sharing and commenting.  Giving thanks and sending love.

No comments:

Post a Comment