Tuesday 8 January 2013

Girl's best friend.....






 
Day 8 of my 365 day blog challenge!
 
Meet our dog Cade.  Aka: Kate (my mom calls him), Cadie boy (uncle Al), Cadie and what's your dog's name again? Whatever name he is known by, everyone remembers him.  Cade is a soon to be 13 year of Rottweiler/Italian Mastiff/lab.  I have had dogs my whole life.  I have never had a dog/Buddha/spirit or whoever he is, like this.  Cade is so different in so many ways.  People who don't like dogs, like Cade.  When we would go to the park people would pick up their dogs when they saw him coming.  It would only take them a few minutes to see that he is so sweet.  He's a gentle giant, a kind soul.  He welcomed Nathan into his life the second they met. 
 
Karen and I had just moved out West.  We had only been here a few months when we decided to go to the shelter to "see" if they had any dogs.  We had discussed getting one.  But before we could, we would have to establish some ground rules.  1. The dog would have to be medium sized 60-70 lbs.  2. Preference would be a light colour dog not a dark one.  3. Not a puppy! At least 3 years old.  Karen went to one side and I went to the other.  I saw her stop at a kennel that had a medium sized dog and I was thinking no way! I want a large dog :) As I looked in each passing kennel I wanted to rescue all of them.  As I rounded the corner, there he was.  Sitting quietly looking out while another dog was biting his ear.  Cade was his name and he was 10 months old, dark brinle in colour and weighed 100 lbs.  Uh oh, how was I going to convience Karen that this was the dog for us.  I ran to see her and she was making googily eyes at another dog.  I told her I found our dog.  I'm sure she said "oh, he's a little big".  Ten minutes later we signed the papers and were walking out with our big boy Cadie.  
 
Cade has added so much to our lives and has filled our days with joy.  He is slowing down these days.  Needs a little more attention than ususal.  He has a cough and a few lumps on his body.  But he is such a happy, peaceful dog who is a blessing to have around.  I know that Cade wouldn't live forever.  I just hope that when that day comes he slowly closes his eyes while surrounded by those who love him the most......his mom's and little bro Nathan.
 
Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying.  Giving thanks and sending you an abundance of happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment