Friday 4 January 2013

"Mommy were you a boy when you were a kid?"

Day 4 of my 365 day blog challenge.

So, here I sit in my grade 4 class photo.  That's my best friend Zelda beside me (thanks FB for bringing us together again).  I showed Nathan this photo last night and the first thing he said was "Mommy were you a boy when you were a kid?" At that point I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  That's what prompted my blog last night about living most of my life being asked that question.  All I can say it that I have always been a tomboy.  I always knew I was a girl and never wanted to be a boy.  I preferred boys clothes and played with cars.......okay maybe there was a little gender confusion..LOL

I was very athletic growing up.  I played both hockey and baseball on the all-star team.  I would ski, had a racing go-kart, played pool in tournaments and should mention that I even bowled for 10 years from the age of 3.  I loved playing sports.  When I wasn't playing them, I would always dress the part.  Ball cap on backwards, hockey or baseball jersey.  I remember in grade 6 wearing my purple hockey jersey and baseball hat on backwards.  I'm pretty sure I wore that jersey everyday.  My grade 6 teacher Ms Maksymiw (she has been in my life ever since) told me years later that for the first few weeks of school (she was a new teacher) she just thought I was the cutest boy with such charisma and couldn't figure out why my parents would name me Tracy :)

It wasn't easy growing up with others being confused about my gender.  I guess it was something that I just got use to.  Sometimes I would just say "I'm not a boy, I'm a girl".  Other times I wouldn't say anything and just lift my shirt in frustration.  Hours later the doorbell would ring with some kids parent complaining to mine that I flashed their kid.  Those were the times that I would get into trouble.........

Girl, boy, boy, girl, whatever the confusion I have always been happy being me.  My childhood was filled with many friends who always accepted and embraced me.  Besides, they always knew who to turn to if they were being picked on by someone :)

Thanks for reading, it means so much.......

Giving thanks




No comments:

Post a Comment