Tuesday 29 January 2013

I've always stood up for what I believe in.

Day 29 of my 365 day blog challenge

I have always believed in speaking my mind and standing up for what I believe in.  My dad always told me that when in a confrontation with someone "remember that yelling isn't going to get you anywhere".  Unfortunately, we didn't get that when we had arguments....lol

When I look at this picture (though I don't really remember it and feel a little disconnected from that kid) I see real determination in my face.  I see focus and strength. 

Through my years I have had many arguments and confrontations with people in my life and those I had never met before.  They usually ended up very heated with lots of name calling and cheap shots.  I like to think that something in me changed these last few years.  I don't know if it was the cancer diagnosis or just growing and having a better understanding.

Today whenever I am faced with these "tests" in life I recognise that this is an opportunity for me to grow.  Instead of thinking I'm shifting into defence mode.

Case in point: (whoo I feel like a lawyer) LOL.
I was on the bus today heading home from work.  It wasn't packed but busy enough that I got one one of the last few seats.  At the next stop a woman got on with her two young children (maybe 4 and 7).  Her and her daughter sat together and son across.  I gave up my seat for her son and stood instead.  This whole time there was a man (maybe 58) seating alone.  He was drinking a can of  beer and in between his singing, he was complaining about being an immigrant from Costa Rica and women in an extremely aggressive way.  Every 6 words were F bombs.  I listened to it.  Along with everyone else who didn't say anything.  But that only lasted 3 stops in.  I calmly in a loud voice said "excuse me sir, can you please be quite there's children on the bus" to with he responded "why don't you just F off".  I took a deep breathe while all eyes are now on me and they were likely thinking "you idiot".  Then he started talking about women and sex and F every word now.  I had enough.  I always say what I am thinking.  I got up and walked over to him.  I said "sir there are young children on this bus and frankly I have had a hard day at work and I don't want to hear it" He: "what are you a politician"...LOL I: "sir, can I suggest you get off the bus" He continues to swear etc... I said "sir please get off the bus.  He stood up told me where to go and got off the bus.

I walked back to my seat, sat down and smiled to myself.  I did it! I passed the test.......

When I was getting off the bus.  I noticed that two Japanese guys were sitting there looking at me and talking.  So I smiled.  They flexed there muscles, gave me a thumbs up and smiled back.  I knew then, I did the right thing.

Thanks for reading, commenting and sharing.  Giving love and thanks and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment