Sunday 6 January 2013

The water skiing that wasn't meant to be......

Day 6 of my 365 day blog challenge

Dominican Republic 1999.  Our first vacation together.  We had only been together for about a year.  So we were still really getting to know each other.  As you can see by the picture above, I look very sad and Karen looks extremely happy.  Here's the story..........

We were about 4 days into our awesome vacation.  We met a great group of people.  We drank a lot, danced a lot and we were having a fantastic time.  We went horseback riding, went for a ride on a boat, swam and tanned all day long.  I'm pretty sure no matter what we were doing, I was always trying to impress Karen.  Newly dating and well, I being the older one thought she could learn from me.  I suggested that we go water skiing.  Karen had been before and I never tried it but had always wanted to.  Karen suggested that I go and she would watch me.  There she sat on the beach, drink in hand watching me as I suited up to get ready to do some jumps in the waves.  I'm fit, I'm athletic, it's noon and I've had about 4 drinks in me.  I can do this! The boat takes me out, I do a little wave and off we go.  I can't stand up...........that's right, I can't stand up.  He takes me back to shore 7 times and we start all over again.  I just can't stand up.  Why am I not getting this.  Karen doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.  Finally he takes me back to shore, turns off the engine and sits me down on the beach (above picture).  He explains to me that this is simply taking too long and that others are waiting to try.  He would give me one more chance but if I don't get it, the money would be wasted.  Then he suggests that Karen go and use the last chance because she has done it before.  As you can see by my picture, I was very sad.  I'm sure that my ego was also a little bruised.  Karen and I discuss it and we decide that she better try.  He takes her out and as soon as he gains speed, she stands up and starts skiing.  I'm sure I could see the smile on her face from the shore.  Thankfully by that time, I had another drink in my hand.  The picture above is Karen just after she finished.  I'm sure she was super excited and had a lot of fun.  It sure looked like she did from where I was sitting.  In the same spot the guy left me.....LOL

Needless to say, I have never tried water skiing since.  It is on my bucket list but next time I will try it on a lake. 

Fourteen years later Karen still thinks I'm pretty cool.  That time in the DR didn't ruin me or us.  It's definitely a funny picture now.  I don't think that I should be too embarrassed about the skiing rather more embarrassed about my sad face in the picutre...........

Hope you enjoyed! Giving thanks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment