Monday 7 January 2013

Like father like daughter.....

Day 7 of my 365 day blog challenge

My dad, Elio (Rocky) Di Venanzo born August 27, 1942 and passed away on March 12 2010.  I remember the call, my mom just arrived here in Vancouver in the morning for a 10 day visit.  We received a call that afternoon that my dad had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital.  Hours later my mom and I were on a plane back to Ontario.   It was an extremely long flight home.  I was so worried that we weren't going to make it.  The last time I saw my dad was in October 2011.   I just wanted to make it in time so that he would know that I was there.  As we ran off the elevator, we were told that he was on life support.  The doctors thought that he would still have a chance to come out of it so they wanted to do a major surgery.  Within hours he was having surgery.  My dad had a 50/50 chance of coming out of it alive.  He did! Though still on support just in case, he pulled through.  That night I slept on the chair at the hospital.  I just felt that I needed to be close to him.  I spent the next 4 days at the hospital going into his room every few hours to tell him stories. Though he was heavily medicated and on support, I know he knew I was there.   The doctors thought that there was a really good chance that he was going to pull through.  Then out of no where he got an infection that just took over.....he passed away a few hours later.  I was holding his hand when he took his last breathe.

This blog isn't about sadness.  It's about an amazing man who still teaches me today.  My father and I were very much alike.  In my early 20's our tempers would get the best of us.  But we had a deep love for each other.  One that I didn't truly understand sadly until he passed away. 

When I turned 16, I had my drivers exam.  After 2 times, I finally passed.  My dad told me to come by his body shop.  There was a car there a Nissan Pulsar that had been in an accident and was doomed for the junk yard.  My dad said it was mine.  He asked me what colour I wanted it to be and that he would suit it up to my liking.  It had and sunroof and was standard.....so cool! I choose white with a pearl coat so that when the sun hit it, it was a sweet blue/purple.  I sat in that car shifting gears for days while the mechanics were repairing it on the lift....lol  A few weeks later it was finally ready.  But first before I could drive it my dad made me jack it up and remove the tire.  Just in case I ever had a flat.  Next, I had to learn to drive standard.  My dad came with me the first time and then never again.......lol I finally got it and he couldn't be more proud. 

My dad was my hockey coach, my baseball coach, and my life coach.  The lessons he taught me at such a young age have continued to carry me through in my life today.  I feel my dad around me every day.  I know he is with me.  Our love goes so much deeper than life on earth.  Though I wish that I could kiss him or have him pinch my cheek, I feel him. 

This is just one story of many that I want to share with you.  I have 358 more blogs to do so I'm sure there will be many more.

If you are fortunate to still have your parents around, take the time to call them.  I understand that life is busy and that sometimes our past gets in the way of the present.  Time does heal.  Once a loved one passes away, part of your heart passes too.  Don't waste another minute, call your family.  Invite them to lunch or just fill them in on your life.  I talk to my mom every single day, sometimes 2 times per day.  My life is never too busy for my mom.  She has my heart.  She gave me life.  I want her to know today while she is alive and well, how much I love her.  I can't imagine my life without her.  I know that the day will come but until then she will know everyday what she means to me.
Take the time.............

Thanks for reading, commenting, and sharing.

Giving thanks.  Sending you energy, love and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment