Thursday 10 January 2013

Standing on the side lines......


Day 10 of my 365 day blog challenge

August 2008 just 3 weeks after finishing 25 rounds of chemotherapy (1.5 years of treatment) I walked 60kms in 2 days.  I did it! I walked the whole way and got blisters in places I never thought were possible.  I walked with a friend of mine who I met through chemo and then met some pretty amazing people along the way. 

Every year prior to being diagnosed I would stand at the side lines and cheer and cry for the walkers who walked by.  I would think of all the women affected from this illness.  I would especially think of my grandmother who passed away in April 1992 of breast cancer.  I never thought that one day I would be the one wearing the pink shirt.  It was an extremely difficult weekend.  I laughed, I cried, and I did lots of soul searching.  When you are walking for 9 hours straight, you have many thoughts.  Walking through neighbourhoods where people were cheering and crying was an amazing feeling.  I was proud to be a breast cancer survivor!

This picture was taken as I crossed the finish line.  So overwhelming!  Nathan and Karen were there to greet me.  I had so many overwhelming emotions when I finished and saw them there.  They cheered me on throughout the 2 days.  Seeing my son along the way cheering for his mommy brings tears to my eyes today.  What was he thinking? He was only 3 years old.  What's cancer? All I knew was that those little eyes and beautiful smile lit up every time he saw me walking towards him.  He was and has always been my strength to beat this illness.

Walking that weekend was something that I needed to do.  Today I look at that picture and it seems a little surreal.  Was that me? Did I have cancer and beat it? You bet I did! But being able to be a part of such an amazing experience was only possible because my friends and family supported me.  You are the reason why something in me changed that weekend.  It was so much more than the walk.  So thank you from deep within my heart.

Thanks for reading, enjoying and sharing!!! I also very much appreciate your comments and sharing your stories.  I look forward to seeing who has liked my blog.  You continue to support me.....so blessed!
Giving thanks, love and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment